International Men’s Day: Health & Exercise Benefits
Friday, 17th November 2017
November 19th is International Men’s Day, so we’re celebrating all things health and fitness!
At Pendle Leisure Trust we work with Activo members from all backgrounds with varying levels of fitness and different goals. We work with athletes who train daily, as well as those juggling their fitness regime with family life and work responsibilities. We often see members who struggle with motivation, depression and obesity too.
Exercise has many benefits (almost too many to list) and it can be a real life-changer. Here are a few key benefits to regular workouts:
- Increased lifespan – Exercise can increase your lifespan by 7-10 years, as well as improve the quality of those extra years by allowing you to stay active and mobile
- Fight depression – Exercise is widely regarded as one of the best ways to fight depression, anxiety and other health related issues that can make life difficult
- Motivation – Daily motivation in work and life is greatly increased when we have goals to aim for and seek to better ourselves by achieving short and long term objectives
- Confidence – Working out can significantly increase your confidence and self-esteem. Plus, it’s a great way to meet new friends and learn new skills
- Improved health – Health benefits of regular exercise include a stronger heart, better circulation, low blood pressure, reduced body fat and reduced stress levels… to name but a few!
We know it can be difficult to squeeze exercise into busy lives, but while there are many advantages to being part of the gym family, there are a few issues that not being active can bring up:
- Depression – Men who are inactive are 60% more likely to suffer from depression
- Poor health – The last 11 years of a man’s life are said to be more likely in poor health
- Aging – The speed of aging increases with lack of exercise, resulting in depletion of bone density, mobility and reduced flexibility
- Increased visceral fat – Visceral fat is the ‘deep’ fat that is stored further under the skin and can wrap around major organs
Exercise is a life-enhancing addition that makes for a positive lifestyle and can improve your sleep patterns and relationships and encourage healthy eating too.
The gym is a place to better ourselves, whether it’s for weight loss, weight control or to fight depression and low self-esteem. It’s more than big muscles and a six-pack! When we see the gym as a place to improve our mental well-being, as well as physical fitness, then we can use our time there in a more balanced way.
To find out more about our Activo membership and its benefits, click here.
Blog by Gavin Noonan